Life has taught me that my MUM is rarely wrong in the advice department.... which is why I dedicate part of my blog to the "words of wisdom" she has given me over the years. Consider it my way of "paying it forward" so to speak.
ANYWAY..... One special piece of advice that I have followed religiously for many years is:
"REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP BEFORE YOU GO TO BED"
Last night... I DID NOT REMOVE MY MAKEUP.... I felt a bit naughty doing it, but I justified that since it was already 4am and my "sleep" would be more of a "nap" that it didn't really count as "sleeping in my makeup".
WHY YOU "REALLY SHOULD" REMOVE YOUR MAKEUP
1. Makeup can act as an irritant if left on for too long. Especially mascara, which can flake and cause puffy eyes.
2. Dirt and oil have time to build up on the skin.
3. You cannot moisturise over the top of makeup.
4. It doesn't FEEL CLEAN.
1. I felt like a REBEL. So, I guess you could call it liberating.
2. My hubby got to go to bed with me still LOOKING GLAM.
3. All I could think about was how much I wanted to MOISTURISE. My skin was feeling dry from a combination of drinking and air con.
4. My lovely crisp white sheets had some lovely added colour this morning... insert Jackson Pollock masterpiece here. UPSIDE... They weren't my sheets as we were staying in a hotel!
5. I didn't look too scary this morning. No massive panda eyes..... but I sure DIDN'T look like those soapy stars that wake up looking just as "made up and beautiful" as they were before sleep.
6. As soon as I could... I removed what was left of my makeup, moisturised and RE-APPLIED my makeup...
The occasional lapse in makeup removal is obviously NOT going to have any long term bad effects. It all comes down to routine and looking after your skin. Moisturising is a big part of my routine, so that was the biggest impact for me. (see future blog about this topic).
Do you always remove your makeup? Why/Why not?
Share your thoughts too.