A couple of years ago I became somewhat of an EXPERT at taking "selfies" on my newly acquired MacBook Pro. The Photo Booth option enabled multiple shots to be taken in quick succession with one touch on the keypad.
I have since moved on to using my iphone.... AND DON'T TAKE ANYWHERE NEAR AS MANY PHOTOS.... but I still get asked for advice on the best ways to take a flattering pic.
WHAT I KNOW WORKS
1. THE TROUT POUT - We ALL laugh at it... but EVERYONE still does it. The "selfie" is a totally acceptable place to put on your best pout. Go for it.
2. ALL ABOUT ANGLES - Shoot your pic at a DIFFERENT angle. A "face to camera" look can be boring. Tilt your head or the device for a more interesting take on something that THE REST OF THE WORLD is doing.
3. WHY SO SERIOUS? - Sick of looking so "pouty"? Some other options to consider could include a genuine smile or laugh. Another really popular "POSE OF THE MOMENT" (perhaps a bit of a backlash against the gorgeous model look) is to pull a funny face or scrunch your neck up. This last one is heaps of fun to do, creates lots of laughs.... and proves you're NOT a stuck up diva.
4. OUT OF SHOT/OUT OF FOCUS - These shots can also be quite interesting. Photos with a slight blur indicate movement and action. Incomplete shots make the viewer wonder and speculate - it is simply more visually exciting.
5. APP IT - There are literally hundreds of different apps out there that you can apply to a "normal" photo to jazz it up a bit.
6. BRAND YOURSELF - You may have a "signature" feature that you may use to 'identify' yourself to viewers. Mine came from my experiences with fashion forward girls on a visit to Japan many years ago, it comes naturally and I can never seem to shake it - I either stick my tongue out or show a peace sign.... OR BOTH at once.
7. AGE LIMIT- MY BUTT - The MOST flattering photos, as you age, seem to be when the camera is LOOKING DOWN and you are LOOKING UP. Always have the camera angled higher than you. If that is not possible, keep your chin down slightly for more definition between your neck and head.
Do you have any ideas to add? What 'selfie' photos do you like best?
I have included a few examples of what I was talking about below. They are not so much TRUE "selfies" as I have another person in them .. but you will get the idea. For more pics, check out my INSTAGRAM page at : NicoleNMortimer