ON A ROLL
Dining out is one of my FAVOURITE things to do with my hubby. We have always enjoyed seeking out new restaurants and following beloved chefs. Our children have also been introduced to this "world" at a young age which has put them in good stead for the future in regards to appropriate DINING ETIQUETTE.
I have recently been asked by a few readers about correct protocol when it comes to FINE DINING. (At the end of the day.... these tips should follow through into everyday dining experiences too - when they become second nature it doesn't become a minefield when you actually do go out.)
The first instalment of DINING ETIQUETTE 101 is a focus on how you "tackle" the bread/roll. It is usually the first part of the meal, (unless you are lucky enough to receive a small compliment of the chef tasting sample) and it is almost always the one you guys get sooooooo wrong. At a good restaurant, this is a first indicator to the Maitre D of the type of diner you are.
HOW TO: BUTTER YOUR ROLL CORRECTLY
1. Once your bread selection has been made, it will be placed on a small dish to your left. A butter knife will also be provided.
2. Your butter knife is then used to transfer the butter from the
butter dish onto your plate. (NOT DIRECTLY ONTO YOUR BREAD)
3. Tear off a bite sized portion of roll with your hands. (DO NOT
ATTEMPT TO HACK INTO THE ROLL WITH YOUR KNIFE - YOU ARE NOT AT A
SAWING MILL) and (YES, IT IS OK TO HANDLE YOUR FOOD WITH YOUR
HANDS IN THIS CASE)
4. Apply as much butter as you desire to the bread. Place the
butter knife back onto the dish at a slight angle before you eat.
5. Repeat this process.
ROLL IT OUT
Good luck trying this method. We are not all perfect, dining should be a fun experience most enjoyed with friends. As I mentioned earlier, dining out is something I love to do, have done for a very long time...... I am still prone to making slight errors in etiquette every now and then. The thing is... I endeavour to correct myself the next time.
The best bit of advice - WHEN IN DOUBT - WATCH THE ONE WHO LOOKS LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING (you will notice the subtlety of movement)........ AND COPY THEM!!!!!!
* If you are a more visual person, keep watching my YOU TUBE channel for an upcoming video aboutDINING ETIQUETTE. (NICOLENMORTIMER)
* Keep watching my blogs for more dining etiquette hints and tips.
* Let me know how you go. What do you want to read about next in regards to dining etiquette?