EASY PEASY CHILLI MUSSELS - FOR THE RELUCTANT COOK
Cooking mussels can seem like a daunting task if you have never tried it before. I have a FAIL SAFE,
full of taste recipe to share. (Mainly because I have made ALL the mistakes first for you) This recipe has been a 'work in progress' over the past few times I have made it.The result is a flavoursome delight that will remain on your dinner table menu for years to come.
These mussels are live. Just before use, you will need to rinse under water and remove any remnants of the 'beards'. I once thought using the juices in the pack would enhance the flavour - it doesn't. Any sized mussels are fine to use, its up to personal preference and mostly availablitiy.
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
grated rind of 1 small lemon
1 large Italian sausage, skin removed, chopped. ( I used an Italian chilli infused salami )
1/2 cup dry white wine
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can white beans drained
1 tbs white balsamic vinegar
1kg live mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, garlic & lemon rind. Cook, stiring, for 3 minutes.
2. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes, stiring.
3. Pour in wine, tomato, vinegar & beans. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add mussels, cover saucepan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes, until mussels open.
5. Divide mussels between 4 serving bowls (Mister G & I divvy this up between just the 2 of us because we are greedy)
& spoon over sauce.
6. Scatter with parsley and serve with crusty bread.
This feast can be a little messy, so make sure you have an extra bowl set aside for discarded shells. The remaining juices can be mopped up with a delicious crusty bread.
DID YOU KNOW?
* The chilli infused salami adds a wonderful kick to this dish. If you can't find it, you can always add fresh slices of chopped chilli at the end or sprinkle in some chilli flakes during the cooking process.
* The original recipe didn't call for the addition of beans. I chose to include butter beans as they give the dish more bulk if served as a main meal. Especially if you have family members that LOVE
are good for your IMMUNE SYSTEM
& your BRAIN
This means an improvement in brain function and aids in reducing inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.