SADIE ON A MISSION
Do you HATE house cleaning as much as me? Are you sick and tired of hours wasted?
THE OLD SADIE
When we first got married my middle name became "clean freak". Sadly, I have to admit, at times I would literally vacuum us out the door. Mr G had to LEVITATE over neatly polished floors AND use the LOO at his mums.
Having kids didn't alter much either. I still remember vacuuming under their cots, telling myself the noise was soothing for a sleeping baby.
ALTER YOUR MISSION STATEMENT
Let's get real about it... The minute you sit down to that well earned cuppa, your beautifully cleaned house suddenly doesn't look so clean anymore when... the kids return home from school, hubby comes home, the family pet sneaks in, visitors drop by.....
AHHHHH ...... TIME FOR A NEW WAY OF THINKING - with a similar result at the end - except you will retain some sanity. (hopefully)
CLEANING DAY IS RE-NAMED
These days I have reclaimed and re-named my cleaning routine as:
MINI WORKOUT FOR ME, ME, ME DAY!!!
I know full well , and NOW fully acknowledge and accept, that the house is going to remain "perfect" for the magical window period of FIFTEEN MINUTES.
I also NOW know that if I shift my thinking "that my cleaning routine is really a great opportunity for a workout & will have positive LONG LASTING results for my body", everyone will be much happier all round.
HOW DO I DO IT?
1. Crank up the VOLUME on your ipod. Music is an instant mood lifter which will put you in a great frame of mind from the beginning.
2. Choose comfy clothing. Be VERY careful here. Being caught out by a friends husband in a mix of grungy summer pj's, dishevelled hair with a massive pink plastic clip at the top and a bright green cleaning glove on one hand - does not a pretty image make. (He never did quite look at me the same way ever again! Thank God they moved.)
3. Get that body moving as you clean.... use BIG sweeping and stretching movements with your arms as you wipe bench tops, cupboards up high and drawers down low.
4. Use those glute muscles too as you bend and stretch in time to the music. NOTE: Also be VERY careful when doing this move on large glass doors whilst playing Rihanna, especially if the neighbours happen to have workmen on their roof at the same time. ( I did get a round of applause that day! ;-p)
5. Stay hydrated. All that movement will require regular sips of water.
If you feel a little sore and sorry for yourself at the end of your cleaning "workout" session - GOOD ON YOU! You are on your way. The house will be clean, for a short period, but your body will reap the rewards for MUCH longer.
Let me know how your NEW cleaning regime goes!